Saturday 3 March 2012

Spider Silk









Video above is all about a fantastically interesting display on at the V&A at the moment until 5th of June. I became obsessed with this stuff during my degree and hope to go and visit it at some point. It has taken over 1.2 million Golden orb web spiders to create this cape as shown above and a shawl that goes with it, all in this naturally glowing gold colour, absolutely beautiful and astonishing. I think biomimicry is one of the most interesting parts of textiles, spider silk was also used to develop Kevlar, a synthetic fibre 5 times stronger than steel, used for armour. Apparently someone somewhere has recently developed silk worms that produce silk as strong as spider silk, I haven't looked into this yet though. Above are some silky drawings I did a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment